Assuming the children were not returned at the .21e hearing – this is the 12 month hearing.

During this period, you are still assigned a social worker, (FR Worker). It is supposed to be his/her job to reunify the parents with the children.

During this period “Concurrent Planning” continues, and seems to take on a more important status. The theory being that since you haven’t regained custody, it may be unlikely that you may regain custody in the future. This process relates to the social worker developing a plan for the children to be permanently placed outside your home; in the event you are unable to reunify with them.

You can easily see that this Concurrent Planning sometimes clashes with the Family Reunification plan and its goals.

During this period, if the children have not been returned to your custody, it is extremely important for you to continue to participate in the Family Reunification Plan that was ordered by the judge, including consistent visits to your children. You also need to keep in written/email contact with your attorney to keep him/her informed of the progress you are making in the FR plan.

At the actual hearing, if the social worker recommends that the children not be returned to your custody at this time, you are entitled to have a trial at a future date. And, in most cases, I recommend that you take advantage of this hearing. My recommendation is based on my experience, but it does vary from case to case.

If you have a trial, it is handled like the trials described above. It is extremely important that you meet and strategize with your attorney.

You will need to subpoena witnesses that will testify on how you have progressed with your FR plan. Their opinions may significantly differ from the opinion of the social worker. Of course, you’d want the judge to hear this evidence.

At the end of the trial the court could do several things:

  1. Adopt the social workers recommendation not to return the children at this time
  2. Return the children, despite the social workers recommendations
  3. Liberalize your visitation, from supervised to unsupervised
  4. Modify you FR case plan
  5. Set the case for a hearing pursuant to WIC 366.26 hearing to permanently place your children out of your care.
    1. If this happens, you should confer with your attorney to develop a plan to remedy this situation.
    2. If you cannot accomplish this, you should seek a second opinion from a competent attorney. Time is of the essence, and you should not delay.
    3. There are other appellate remedies which are available, but you must speak to your attorney, because there is a relatively short time period for you to act.

The exact thing the court is likely to do at this point, like many other things in this process, determines on the specifics facts of your case.

And what the court decides at this point, will usually control what you and your attorney should do. But always consult with your attorney, or seek a competent second opinion.

Comments are closed.

Contact The Law Office Of Vincent W. Davis


Experienced Law Firm

Office Locations Where Can We Meet You?

Arcadia Office
150 N. Santa Anita Ave,
Suite 200
Arcadia, CA 91006
Phone: (626) 446-6442 Fax: (626)-446-6454
Get Directions
Beverly Hills Office
*Virtual Office
9465 Wilshire Blvd.
Suite 300
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Phone: (310)-880-5733 Get Directions
La Mirada Office
*Virtual Office
Cerritos Towne Center
17777 Center Court Drive ,
Suite 600
Cerritos, California, 90703
Phone: 888-888-6542 Get Directions
Los Angeles Office
*Virtual Office
Gas Comdivany Tower
555 West Fifth Street,
31st Floor
Los Angeles, California, 90013
Phone: (213)-400-4132 Get Directions
Long Beach Office
*Virtual Office
Landmark Square
111 West Ocean Blvd.,
Suite 400
Long beach, California, 90802
Get Directions
Irvine Office
*Virtual Office
Oracle Tower
17901 Von Karman Avenue,
Suite 600
Irvine, California, 92614
Phone: (949)-203-3971 Fax: (949)-203-3972 Get Directions
Ontario Office
*Virtual Office
Lakeshore Center
3281 E. Guasti Road,
7th Floor
City of Ontario, California, 91761
Phone: (909)-996-5644 Get Directions
Riverside Office
*Virtual Office
Turner Riverwalk
11801 divierce Street,
Suite 200
Riverside, California, 92505
Phone: (909)-996-5644 Get Directions
San Diego
*Virtual Office
Emerald divlaza
402 West Broadway,
Suite #400
San Diego, California, 92101
Phone: (619)-885-2070 Get Directions
Aliso Viejo
*Virtual Office
Ladera Cordivorate Terrace
999 Cordivorate Drive,
Suite 100
Ladera Ranch, California, 92694
Phone: (714) 721-3822 Get Directions