Screen Shot 2015-02-07 at 7.20.50 PM

Having represented people in juvenile dependency cases against Child Protective Services (“CPS”, or the Department of Children and Family Services, DCFS, as they are known in Los Angeles County) for almost 30 years, I’ve come to realize something very important which all parents and families should know:  And that is no matter what allegations or charges you are accused of, be they true or false, you should sign up for family reunification services early in the case, and you should attend these services as frequently and as often as possible.

And, please know that your participation in these services is NOT an admission of guilt.  In fact, in my experience, it tends to be a positive thing when the juvenile judge is informed that you are participating in these services.  The negative is that these services will take time out of your schedule, may interfere with work and may cost money.  Another positive about participating early is that it can actually help your case down the road – for example, at the dispositional phase of the case.  In most cases, the dispositional phase is the 3rd or 4th main hearing in the juvenile dependency process.

Now, you can take the position that “I’m being falsely accused”, and/or “I don’t want to participate in these services”;  and that’s ok.  But as an expert in this field, I’m just giving you my professional opinion.  And, this recommendation is bolstered by the fact that in most cases the services are provided to you FREE of charge, or on a LOW cost basis.  At my office, we always try to find the FREE court approved programs for our clients.

So what are family reunification services?  Well, it depends on what the allegations are against you.  Here’s a list of some of the typical services:

1. Parenting Classes – usually for parents who’ve inappropriately physically disciplined their child.

2. Domestic Violence Classes or Counseling – usually for the parents who’ve been involved in physical altercations in front of the children.

3. Drug Rehabilitation or Alcohol Rehabilitation Counseling – usually for the parents who’ve been involved in a Drug or Alcohol addiction that hinders their ability to care for the children.

4. Individual Counseling to address different issues in the case.  An example may be, individual counseling with a licensed therapist to address issues of marital discord within the family, sometimes referred to as Couples Counseling.

5. Sex Abuse Counseling – usually comes into play when a parent has been accused of sexually abusing a child.

6. Drug Testing & Alcohol Testing – usually required when the parent has been accused of using illegal drugs.  TIP:  If you are using marijuana, under current California law you should have a medical marijuana card, if your doctor is so inclined to prescribe the same.

It is extremely important that you consult with an experienced Juvenile Dependency attorney.  You don’t want to agree to things the social worker wants you to do, when they are not warranted in a certain type of case.  For example, the social worker gets involved in a physical abuse case, and then wants the parent to drug test.  In my opinion, the request for drug testing is not supported by California law.

My name is Vincent Davis, and I’m a Juvenile Dependency trial & appellate attorney with almost 30 years experience.  If you’d like to consult with me, please contact my office.  We offer:

1. Free initial consultations, of 20-30 minutes;

2. Case analysis, where I review your case and give you a plan and a strategy to implement with your court appointed attorney;

3. Extended phone, Skype or in person consultations about your case, and what to do and how to do it; and/or

4. Full legal representation as your attorney (we represent people all over the state of California.

888 888 6582

Comments are closed.

Contact The Law Office Of Vincent W. Davis


Experienced Law Firm

Office Locations Where Can We Meet You?

Arcadia Office
150 N. Santa Anita Ave,
Suite 200
Arcadia, CA 91006
Phone: (626) 446-6442 Fax: (626)-446-6454
Get Directions
Beverly Hills Office
*Virtual Office
9465 Wilshire Blvd.
Suite 300
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Phone: (310)-880-5733 Get Directions
La Mirada Office
*Virtual Office
Cerritos Towne Center
17777 Center Court Drive ,
Suite 600
Cerritos, California, 90703
Phone: 888-888-6542 Get Directions
Los Angeles Office
*Virtual Office
Gas Comdivany Tower
555 West Fifth Street,
31st Floor
Los Angeles, California, 90013
Phone: (213)-400-4132 Get Directions
Long Beach Office
*Virtual Office
Landmark Square
111 West Ocean Blvd.,
Suite 400
Long beach, California, 90802
Get Directions
Irvine Office
*Virtual Office
Oracle Tower
17901 Von Karman Avenue,
Suite 600
Irvine, California, 92614
Phone: (949)-203-3971 Fax: (949)-203-3972 Get Directions
Ontario Office
*Virtual Office
Lakeshore Center
3281 E. Guasti Road,
7th Floor
City of Ontario, California, 91761
Phone: (909)-996-5644 Get Directions
Riverside Office
*Virtual Office
Turner Riverwalk
11801 divierce Street,
Suite 200
Riverside, California, 92505
Phone: (909)-996-5644 Get Directions
San Diego
*Virtual Office
Emerald divlaza
402 West Broadway,
Suite #400
San Diego, California, 92101
Phone: (619)-885-2070 Get Directions
Aliso Viejo
*Virtual Office
Ladera Cordivorate Terrace
999 Cordivorate Drive,
Suite 100
Ladera Ranch, California, 92694
Phone: (714) 721-3822 Get Directions