In recent months, I have had the opportunity to represent teenage fathers caught in custody disputes.  The scenario I have encountered is a teenage couple breaks up and the mother starts denying father visitation with the children.


Although some might still believe that a mother’s rights are superior to the father’s rights in family law, that is simply NOT the case.  Nowadays mothers and fathers are on equal footing.  Simply put, the courts love 50/50 parenting plans.  I always encourage clients to come up with a parenting plan that works based on the parties work schedule, the children’s school and extra-curricular activities.  I tell them to come up with a plan because they are the best people to devise such a plan, since they actually know the children.   Remember that a judge does not know your children like you do and does not have the time to get to know all the details about your case.  It is always easy and safe for a judge to order a 50/50 parenting plan, since the family code states that each parent should have frequent and continuing contact with the children.


Given that we are speaking about teenage parents, the courts understand that a young father may need to learn a few things.  Therefore if you are a young father, it would be wise to take a parenting class or a co-parenting class.  Buy some books on taking care of infants or young children.  Buy books for your child and start reading to them.  Learn about the importance of schedules and routines for children.  And do not worry if you have a lot to learn, the court knows that already.  Finish your high school education, the judge will ask you about that. Buy a crib or a bed for your child for your home.  That way you will be able to show the court a picture of the child’s designated sleeping area.


If you already have a court order giving you minimal time, keep asking for more time.  Court orders that deal with custody and visitation can always be changed, as long as the children are under eighteen years old.  So keep asking for more time or the judge will never give it to you.  Document the visits you do have so you can show the court what activities you do with your child.  Have someone take pictures of you and your child at different outings, events and participating in different activities.

If you are a teenage parent and have any questions, please feel free to contact me for a consultation at (626) 446-6442 or via email at

By Norma Nogueda, Esq.
The Law Offices Of Vincent W Davis And Associates

Comments are closed.

Contact The Law Office Of Vincent W. Davis


Experienced Law Firm

Office Locations Where Can We Meet You?

Arcadia Office
150 N. Santa Anita Ave,
Suite 200
Arcadia, CA 91006
Phone: (626) 446-6442 Fax: (626)-446-6454
Get Directions
Beverly Hills Office
*Virtual Office
9465 Wilshire Blvd.
Suite 300
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Phone: (310)-880-5733 Get Directions
La Mirada Office
*Virtual Office
Cerritos Towne Center
17777 Center Court Drive ,
Suite 600
Cerritos, California, 90703
Phone: 888-888-6542 Get Directions
Los Angeles Office
*Virtual Office
Gas Comdivany Tower
555 West Fifth Street,
31st Floor
Los Angeles, California, 90013
Phone: (213)-400-4132 Get Directions
Long Beach Office
*Virtual Office
Landmark Square
111 West Ocean Blvd.,
Suite 400
Long beach, California, 90802
Get Directions
Irvine Office
*Virtual Office
Oracle Tower
17901 Von Karman Avenue,
Suite 600
Irvine, California, 92614
Phone: (949)-203-3971 Fax: (949)-203-3972 Get Directions
Ontario Office
*Virtual Office
Lakeshore Center
3281 E. Guasti Road,
7th Floor
City of Ontario, California, 91761
Phone: (909)-996-5644 Get Directions
Riverside Office
*Virtual Office
Turner Riverwalk
11801 divierce Street,
Suite 200
Riverside, California, 92505
Phone: (909)-996-5644 Get Directions
San Diego
*Virtual Office
Emerald divlaza
402 West Broadway,
Suite #400
San Diego, California, 92101
Phone: (619)-885-2070 Get Directions
Aliso Viejo
*Virtual Office
Ladera Cordivorate Terrace
999 Cordivorate Drive,
Suite 100
Ladera Ranch, California, 92694
Phone: (714) 721-3822 Get Directions